High School Football
  • Class AAA
  • Class AA
  • Class A
Talkline with Hoppy Kercheval  Watch |  Listen
Wowza Test   Watch |  Listen

Jury visits scene of Beckley murder

BECKLEY, W.Va. — A 12-member Raleigh County jury walked through a small Beckley apartment Thursday as part of a murder trial where a 7-year-old autistic boy was killed.

Attorneys for the accused, Rashad “Rico” Thompson, requested the on-site visit to Lewis Ritchie Apartments on Industrial Drive in Beckley. MetroNews reporter Keith Thompson (no relation to the defendant) said jurors saw a small living room and slightly larger kitchen.

Jurors were able to get a look at Apt. 408 Thursday. (Photo/Keith Thompson)

“We know the body of Tre-shaun Brown was found on the long wall, which would have been the left side of that wall as you go into the living room, and they also went back into the kitchen,” Thompson reported.

Prosecutors allege Rico Thompson, 35, beat the boy to death with a hammer on March 18, 2021, following a fight with the boy’s mother, Thompson’s girlfriend, Felicia Brown, who was stabbed multiple times.

Reporter Keith Thompson said Raleigh County Circuit Judge H.L. Kirkpatrick pointed out several things to jury members as they toured the property. He also showed them the number of street lights outside the residence.

“He pointed out the number of street lights outside where (a neighbor testified) she saw Thompson and Brown looking through the window. There were about five street lights outside,” Keith Thompson reported.

Felicia Brown testified on the opening day of the trial back on Wednesday that Thompson attacked her after they got into an argument about the couple’s 2-year-old daughter and Tre-shaun having colds. He later allegedly told Brown she was going to die that night.

After being stabbed several times, Brown testified she ran next door to a neighbor’s apartment for help. The neighbor went back to Brown’s apartment to retrieve the children. She later found Tre-shaun unresponsive on the couch.

Tre-shaun Brown was autistic. His mother testified he physically a 7-year-old but was non-verbal.

Testimony is scheduled to resume Friday in Raleigh County Circuit Court.